Water change, skimmer cleaning and not much else

Nothing much to report this week.  I did a quick water change and cleaned the skimmer today and because it was 11:30 pm, I didn’t have time to feed the aiptasia their last meal but hopefully, I will have more time next week.

Also, all the aiptasia that blasted with Joe’s Juice is back.  They look a little smaller but they are still there.

Water change, new coral, new actinic T5 blub and more about Joe’s Juice

Water change Wednesday….

I think I am going to call Wednesday “water change Wednesday” from now on. Although I have changed water on other days, it seems that Wednesday is the day but I digress…..

I did the normal 5 gallon water change and cleaned the skimmer, which is starting to pull less and less out each week. I know the skimmer is clean and the water level is the same but between the water changes and keeping it clean, I am guessing there is less to skim. I might go a for a wetter skimmate but even now, it has gone from dark brown to light brown over the last month.

Be a turkey….

I did notice that using the turkey baster on the live rock last keep the cyanobacteria at bay for almost 7 days. There was a light coating of cyano on the top, middle rock near the back but not as much as the week before when I didn’t use the turkey baster.

I know that many of you are wondering if Joe’s Juice did any better this week. The answer is yes and no. Out of the 25 aiptasia that I fed last week, there are maybe 12 left and of those 12 they are much smaller. It seems that Joe’s Juice needs to be fed to the aiptasia at least twice or maybe three times. I will have a picture up today or over the next few days to show the progress. I did feed a larger amount the second time than the first so that could also be a reason why more of the aiptasia seem to be gone.

Aiptasia after using Joe's Juice twice.

I plan on trying kalkwasser paste and or the lemon juice concoction but I am a little leary of the lemon juice.

New hammer coral and let there be light….

I also added a new hammer coral frag from AQUAPROS that looks really good.

Hammer coral frag from Aquapros

I switched out one of my ATI Blue+ T5 tubes for an ATI Actinic with hopes that the hammer could have a little more fluorescence, which at first glance it seems to have worked.

Water change and Joe’s Juice part 2

Another 5 gallon water change, cleaned skimmer and overflow teeth.  I also used the turkey baster to stir up the crud on the live rock and also to deal with some cyano.

I tried Joe’s Juice again on the same rock as before.   As you can see below, most of them except for the three at the bottom are in the rock but I will not know if it worked until tomorrow.  More to come…

Aptasia 021313

Aptasia after the second application of Joe’s Juice

2/9/2013 – 90 gallon reef tank

Here is a full tank picture of my 90 gallon taken on 2/9/2013.  I recently upgraded my bulbs from Aquatic Life T5’s to ATI T5’s.  The new bulbs look so much better to me.  More details t0 come about my bulb upgrade in the near future.

90 gallon full tank picture

90 gallon full tank picture taken on 2/9/13.

Aiptasia verses Joe’s Juice after three days

I was hopeful that Joe’s Juice would have terminated these nasty little buggers but it looks like, after one try, Aptasia = 1 joes’ juice = 0.

aiptasiajj020913

Aiptasia after using Joe Juice. Bummer, I was hoping it would have worked.

I am going to try Joe’s Juice a second time to give it a chance to redeem itself.  There is one on the far bottom left that looks unhealthy now but it is still alive for now.

 

Water change and aiptasia serach and destroy

Today was water change day.  I have been doing weekly water changes for the last month.  Up until a few weeks ago, I did maybe 15 water changes since 2007.  Needless to say, I am seeing a huge growth spurt from my soft corals.  Luckily over those years of no water changes my fish and most of my corals stayed with me.

I have my water changes down to 10 – 15 minutes and another five minutes to clean the skimmer.  If I have to take the lights off the tank, it adds just a couple minutes but overall the whole process is under 30 minutes.  I plan on putting a new image up each week but it takes me longer to setup the camera than anything else.

For at least three years, maybe longer, I have been dealing with a nasty aiptasia outbreak.  I bought a bottle of Joe’s Juice in 2007 or 2008 and it sat on my shelf for that time.  After dusting off the box it came in, I shook it for a long time to get the settlement loose and I started my search and destroy mission.  After fighting with the little applicator, I fed at least 25 aiptasia what I hoped would be their last meal.  I placed the applicator in the mouth and squeezed a good shot into each one.  Most of them retreated deep into the live rock showing nothing but a white power burn. I will have to see how it worked over the next couple days but I am hopeful that they won’t come back.

I still have about 30 more to eradicate but if this works, the time will be worth it.

This skimmer wasn’t too dirty this week and now that I am cleaning it weekly, I do not have to clean the glass as often.