Water change and aiptasia serach and destroy

Today was water change day.  I have been doing weekly water changes for the last month.  Up until a few weeks ago, I did maybe 15 water changes since 2007.  Needless to say, I am seeing a huge growth spurt from my soft corals.  Luckily over those years of no water changes my fish and most of my corals stayed with me.

I have my water changes down to 10 – 15 minutes and another five minutes to clean the skimmer.  If I have to take the lights off the tank, it adds just a couple minutes but overall the whole process is under 30 minutes.  I plan on putting a new image up each week but it takes me longer to setup the camera than anything else.

For at least three years, maybe longer, I have been dealing with a nasty aiptasia outbreak.  I bought a bottle of Joe’s Juice in 2007 or 2008 and it sat on my shelf for that time.  After dusting off the box it came in, I shook it for a long time to get the settlement loose and I started my search and destroy mission.  After fighting with the little applicator, I fed at least 25 aiptasia what I hoped would be their last meal.  I placed the applicator in the mouth and squeezed a good shot into each one.  Most of them retreated deep into the live rock showing nothing but a white power burn. I will have to see how it worked over the next couple days but I am hopeful that they won’t come back.

I still have about 30 more to eradicate but if this works, the time will be worth it.

This skimmer wasn’t too dirty this week and now that I am cleaning it weekly, I do not have to clean the glass as often.

Speak Your Mind

*